Tim Franklin, the founder of Radar Promotions Australia, passed away on 17 November, 2015. Tim's wish was for Radar Promotions Australia to carry on "business as usual". We look forward to continued support to keep Tim's legacy alive!
Tim was a well-known identity in Tasmania and his beaming, bespectacled face was a regular sight on television advertisements and at charity functions.
Educated at St Peters College in Adelaide, Tim began a career in radio and then television in 1975. He started playing the drums in 1968, which in later years led to him performing with some of Australia’s top rock ’n roll bands.
On-air experience led to work as a breakfast announcer at Radio 6KY in Perth, on to 2KO in Newcastle and 4BC in Brisbane.
He was thrilled to be invited to DJ at Studio 54 in New York, which was the world’s number one night club at that time. The Studio 54 contract would have been extended had a Green Card been issued to Tim, which was near impossible at that time!
On his return to Australia, Tim moved to Hobart Radio 7HT where he won five Count Down Rock Awards.
Establishing Radar Promotions Australia in 1990 was a dream come true. His passion for all aspects of media promotion has been shared with more than 450 clients.
- Nominated for Tasmanian of the Year
- Winner of five Tasmanian Tourism Awards – Media
- Voted Tasmania’s Best Small Business – Finalist in National Awards
- Winner Australian Marketing Institute Awards – Gold Communications Award
- While at Radio 7HT as Promotions & Marketing Manager – best radio station promotion for Australia (great Australian Home Giveaway with the help of legendary Torville and Dean as patrons)
- Two Television Logie Awards ̵ Tasmania, Most Popular Television Personality
- Radio 7HT – five Countdown Rock Awards. Whilst in Brisbane, Queensland, awarded 1982 Countdown Rock Award (No 4) at 4BC after only six months. (This is a first in Australian history for a radio announcer to win a Rock Award after leaving part way through the year). Also co-hosted “Good Morning Brisbane” on the Channel 0-10 Network. Most Countdown Rock Awards ever won by a DJ in Australian History along with Greg Evans
- Twelve month stint at Studio 54 in New York
- Variety Club – Board member for eight years and Chairman of Gold Heart Day for five years
- Chosen in 2001 to be a business mentor for Mentor Resources Tasmania (past 8 years)
- Current client base nationally and locally ̵ 553 businesses and charities
- Proud Board Member of the Cancer Council Committee
- Very proud to be a part of Cardiac Arrest Day in 2010 helping to raise funds for the National Heart Foundation to the tune of $35,000
- Proud to be the leading organisation in supporting lesser-known charities and non-profit organisations both in Tasmania and around Australia, with free high exposure television airtime.